- About Us
- What We Treat
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in Atlanta
At New View Wellness, we offer Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in Atlanta. Dialectical behavior therapy, or DBT, is a type of therapy that can help people replace negative thoughts and behavior patterns with healthier ways of thinking and acting.
A four-year study that was published in 2014 found that DBT had significant positive benefits among patients with borderline personality disorder who also struggled with self-harm and suicidal thoughts.
“DBT has proven especially effective in reducing self-injurious behavior, suicide attempts and inpatient treatment days,” the study’s authors wrote. “It should also be noted that treatment with DBT showed a marked reduction of disorder-related direct and indirect monetary costs.”
How Does DBT Therapy in Atlanta Work?
Dialectical behavior therapy was developed by Dr. Marsha Linehan in the 1970s.
Dr. Linehan originally used DBT to treat people who had developed borderline personality disorder. Through the decades, the use of DBT has expanded considerably.
Dialectical behavior therapy is designed to help clients improve their skills in four key areas:
- Mindfulness: This skill involves remaining present in the moment, noticing your thoughts and emotions, and accepting them without self-criticism or judgement.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Skills in this area can help you relate to others in a healthier manner, without succumbing to conflicts or sacrificing your self-respect.
- Emotion regulation: As you develop your skills in this area, you will be better prepared to limit the impact of negative emotional responses and adopt a healthier perspective.
- Distress tolerance: Improved distress tolerance skills can help you navigate crises and other unpleasant experiences without resorting to self-defeating behaviors.
How Does Atlanta Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Work?
At New View Wellness in Atlanta, dialectical behavior therapy may be incorporated into individual and group sessions.
DBT groups typically focus on skills training. During DBT groups, clients develop skills that are related to both acceptance and change. Mindfulness and distress tolerance are acceptance-based skills, while interpersonal effectiveness and emotion regulation skills can help people make beneficial changes.
Individual DBT sessions may focus on identifying specific areas in the client’s life where DBT skills can make a meaningful difference. During individual sessions, clients can work directly with an experienced professional to determine how best to apply their new skills in these areas.
DBT may also include phone coaching sessions. This feature can help clients get focused guidance to help them address circumstances that arise in the course of their daily lives, without needing to wait for the next individual or group session.
Who Can Benefit from DBT Therapy in Atlanta?
As noted earlier on this page, Dr. Linehan’s original motivation for creating DBT was to treat people who were experiencing symptoms of borderline personality disorder.
Today, DBT can be a beneficial element of care for people who have been living with the following types of mental and behavioral health disorders:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Depressive disorders
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Substance abuse and addiction
- Eating disorders
- Suicidal ideation
You are not alone. You deserve to get help.
New View Wellness is an industry leader in mental health treatment. Our team of top medical experts specialize in dual diagnosis treatment and are committed to ensuring that each patient is treated as an individual. Call us today, we’re available 24/7.
Benefits of DBT Therapy in Atlanta
The following are just a few examples of the many benefits of receiving dialectical behavior therapy in Atlanta at New View Wellness:
- Safe & supportive environment: The New View Wellness team understands that starting treatment can be a challenging time. Change can be scary – even when you know that the change you’re making can have a positive impact on your life. Our team is committed to maintaining a safe and welcoming treatment environment. Here, you will be treated with compassion and respect.
- Personalized service: At our center in Atlanta, there’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all treatment. The professionals who provide your care will take the time to get to know you as a unique individual, so we can be sure we’re providing you with the services that best align with your specific needs and expectations.
- Clinical quality: When you choose New View Wellness, you can rest assured that your treatment will meet or exceed the highest clinical standards. Dialectical behavior therapy is one of several evidence-based services that may be incorporated into a client’s outpatient care at our center.
- Skilled professionals: Throughout your time with us, your treatment will be provided by dedicated experts. The talented professionals who work here bring a wealth of insights and experiences to our facility, and they share our unwavering commitment to superior client care.
In addition, other studies have documented DBT’s effectiveness at helping people whose lives had been disrupted by a variety of other mental and behavioral health concerns.
How Long Does DBT Therapy Last?
Individual DBT sessions typically last 40-60 minutes. Group DBT skill-development sessions may last 90-120 minutes. Clients usually take part in one individual session and one group skills session each week.
The amount of time that a person continues to participate in DBT sessions can vary depending on their needs and goals. Some studies suggest that a minimum of four months is necessary for people to make appropriate progress, while other researchers recommend a year or longer.
At New View Wellness, we customize every aspect of a person’s treatment to reflect their unique circumstances. As we learn more about the concerns that prompted you to seek our help, we’ll be better prepared to provide you with a personalized recommendation, including which services are right for you and how long you may expect to remain in treatment.
Find Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in Atlanta, Georgia
If you have been seeking dialectical behavior therapy in Atlanta, Georgia, our center may be the ideal place for you. New View Wellness is a premier provider of DBT and a host of additional outpatient mental health services. Our team can assess your needs and match you with the treatment options that will best prepare you for a healthier future. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
Learn More About Our Mental Health Programs
Partial Hospitalization Program
Intensive Outpatient Program
Get Help Now